Inquiry: Canada’s Human Rights Report Card: How good are we?
Students will be able to:
- Assess the importance the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Canadian Charter of Rights;
- Analyze Canadian society and identity through the lens of human rights;
- Evaluate the role of the provincial and federal government in the development of human rights in Canada.
Please choose, research and present a human right violation in Canada.
Partners: You may work individually or in pairs for this project.
Time Frame: 10 to 12 classes (approximately one month)
Step 1 Choose your topic;
Step 2 Research and Compile Materials (notes, images and video clips); (3-4 classes)
Step 3 Create a detailed Story Board; (1 class)
Step 4 Create a short video (using the iPads); (3-4 classes)
Step 5 Access feedback from peers and edit your video accordingly; (1 class)
Step 6 Publish your video on your blog;
Step 7 Watch and comment on each of your classmates’ videos. (2 classes)
Step 8 Class Discussion and Reflection (1 class)
What will be assessed during this project?
- Compiled notes (Note Taking Rubric)
- Bibliography (MLA Rubric or MLA Checklist)
- Peer Feedback: Giving and Implementing (use Presentation Rubric to guide feedback)
- Presentation Rubric