What is happening in your world?
Each month you will be responsible for investigating and presenting events that are happening in the world today.
Step 1 Reading & Writing
- Choose and read a current event that interests you using electronic or print news articles.
- Write a 3 paragraph report:
Paragraph 1: In your own words, summarize the event (who, when, where, what, how).
Paragraph 2: Why did this happen? Evaluate the causes of this event. Use the multiple cause handout to guide your writing. What do you think will be the consequences of this event?
Paragraph 3: Critically consider the article you have read. Use the Digging Deep graphic organizer to guide your writing. Questions to consider are:
- Who created this? What does he or she want?
- What was their purpose in writing this? Do they have a purpose?
- Whose voices are heard? Whose voices are missing?
- Who has power in the text? Who doesn’t?
- How does the text make you feel? How does the author want you to feel?
- What tools are used to manipulate you? (How does the author try to make you feel what they want?)
- What does this text say about society? People?
- Create a discussion question for the class. Remember to use open ended questions that allow differences of opinion
- Present your event the class and lead a class discussion based on your discussion question. You will be evaluated using this oral presentation rubric.
- Submit your assignment through the assignment dropbox on blackboard.
Step 3 Respecting Idea Ownership
1. Cite your source(s) using MLA format.
Electronic News Article*
Author. “Title of the Document.” Name of Web Site. Name of Institution or Organization Sponsoring the Web site, Date of copyright or last revision. Medium consulted. Date of access.
Hellerman, Caleb. “Scientists Hope Work with Poison Gas Can Be a Lifesaver.” CNN.com. Cable News Network, n.d. Web. 15 Oct. 2009. http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/09/cheating.death.suspended.animation/index.html
Print News Article
Author(s) of article. “Title of Article.” Title of Newspaper Date of publication, Edition if available: Section and Page number(s). Medium consulted.
Martinez, Jennifer. “Anarchists Organize to Spread the Word.'” Wall Street Journal 1 Apr. 2009: A8. Print.
*Taken from http://www.cod.edu/library/research/cite/mla/print.htm