- the five senses (touch, taste, scent, sight, sound)
Example: The low wavering moan battered me, filling my ears, my thoughts until nothing else remained but my shivering and the burn in my lower calf. A hot iron searing into my flesh, down to the bone, slowly crawling up my knee, the pain reminded me this was no dream. I was turning.
Learning Intention: To identify and evaluate imagery in text.
- Listen to and read the Poem “To This Day” by Shane Koyczan.
- Identify the imagery in the poem.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the imagery. Does the poet effectively create rich mental pictures in your mind that allow you to experience the poem on a deeper level?
- Choose one of the following options:
Option 1: Watch 3 of the video submissions . In 1 to 2 paragraphs evaluate the different interpretations of the poem and the creators’ choice of images. What is effective? What is not? Why?
Option 2: Create a picture collage of 5 or more pictures based on the images the poem evokes for you. Match the appropriate text from the poem with each picture.