Instructions: Read the attached article and complete the below questions. Annotate your article as you read! Please use Microsoft Word to record your answers.
PART A: READING COMPREHENSION
- In the first line of the text, the author uses the word “abandoned.” What is the connotation of this word? Watch does the use of this word suggest about how the author feels about this case (his/her bias)?
- At the time of this article, how many years had this case been in the courts?
- In B.C. law, what are the four factors that can make adult children legally responsible for supporting their parents?
- How much money combined is Shirley asking for a month?
- What did the B.C. Law Institute recommend? What does this mean in your own words?
- How does Shirley and Ken’s version of events differ?
- Why does Ken think he shouldn’t have to support his mother?
- Why is the B.C. Supreme Court judge reserving his discussion?
PART B GOING VIRTUAL
Use the internet to find the answers to the following questions.
- Were the adult children required to financially support their mother? In your own words, summarize the judge’s reasoning behind her decision.
- Click here to vote on the question and to see what other Canadians think. What do most Canadians believe?
PART C WRITING
Write a multi-paragraph composition on the writing prompt below.
- Your writing may be persuasive, narrative and/or descriptive.
- You may agree or disagree with the writing prompt.
- You may use ideas based on your own experience, the experience of others, your reading, your imagination, or from any aspect of your life.
Should adults financially support their parents?